Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Catching Up


What up yo? (That's my new thing...)

So, I've been meaning to write this for a while, but school is happening. A lot.

So, this edition is going to be about my adventurous ride back to school after spring break. It started out fine, you know, just talking and listening to music with my friends Josh and Matt with whom I hitched a ride, and right as we put in by far, my favorite album at the moment, we hear a weird chunking, and smell a weird smell. Josh pulls off the side of the road so we can assess the damage and no joke (see the picture), it looks like someone took a knife and drew a circle about an inch from the hubcap all the way around the tire.

We proceed to unpack the trunk to get the tire-changing equipment and the boys start the whole process. Josh has changed tires on this car before, but this tire really isn't coming off. Really not coming off. So we are calling parents to think of the next step we should take, when we see some people walking toward us on the side of the highway. Thankfully, my friend Alex and two other people happened to by driving by us on the same highway (in boonies Ohio), and recognized me, so they pulled over to help!

One of the guys that was in his car has a AAA card so he calls and find the mile marker and they tell us it's going to be 40 minutes or so. We settle into a nice posse by the side of the freeway waiting for AAA to come rescue us, when a pickup truck with a 4-wheeler in the back pulls over and one of the two people in the truck gets out and asks us, with a think country accent, if we need help with the tire. We explain that the tire will not come off, but he wants to try himself, so he's kicking and whacking and swearing just as hard. I can't help but notice the harley boots, tight white rolled-sleeved t-shirt (in the cold drizzle) and the harley tattoo among others. He was nice as he tried to help. He called to the other person in the truck for him to bring out his 'steel-toes.' Te other person, who was equally as tattooed and booted up, with a little more facial piercings, brings out the boots and looks around at our group. He says something along the lines of "...Five guys and one girl? That don't seem right to me... which one do you belong to?" referring to me... All I could say is "uhhhhh..." and he laughs and says something like "oh, I get it..."
There were more comments made, one about how I should make him dinner after he sees one of Josh's cookbooks on the ground... After guy #1 decides that he can't get the tire off, and after telling us that we should have gone a different way to Athens, and about how they were out 'beer-hopping,' they decided to leave. They both shake all our hands and when guy #2 gets to me, holds onto my hand for a little second, gives me this look like he was assuming I was something that I definitely I am not, and makes me a tad bit uncomfortable. They get into the truck, throw out a couple of empty beer bottles, and drive away. I was stifling laughter the entire time. It was a ridiculous situation.

So AAA comes a few minutes later and doesn't have a hammer, which is what we really needed t get the tire off. The find a piece of wood and knock at the tire until it pries loose. Someone made the comment about how, only in southern Ohio does AAA come with a piece of wood. It had completely rusted to the whatever it is that is connected to the tire... so we get the tire changed and drive 50 mph to the closest Walmart (is that one word?). The tire center at the nearest Walmart was closed so Josh patiently drove the rest of the way to OU in the dark and rain, on the spare. We left at 3:30, and got back at school at about 8:00... but God is good, so we stayed safe.

God is SO good. My life has been so wonderful lately....

But more on that later.

No comments: