Saturday, December 27, 2008

Top Albums of 2008 (In my opinion anyways)



I have been excitedly thinking of compiling this exclusive list of albums that I have purchased in 2008. Unfortunately some of the albums that I was anticipating being really exceptional were let downs, but this is not that list. These are my reviews of those albums that stirred my soul for all of 2008 and will continue to be my top plays for the coming '09. Merry listening!

So here is the first. I will finish it up later.

1. Time is Fiction
by Edison Glass

After falling head-over-heels for this band after their 2006 release of A Burn or A Shiver, I was insanly excited to receive Time is Fiction. Since day-one of receiving it, the album has literally been played non-stop on my itunes with it reaching my top plays, easily solidifying Edison Glass as one of my favorite bands after only a few months. The album starts off with the catchy-yet brilliantly written first track Let Go accompanied by an equally as entertaining and smart music video (shown below), continues on through some slower thoughtful pieces, a few that hit you in the chest; all laced with tricky guitar parts, brilliant meter changes, a clever play between dual vocalists, and lyrics of poet-laureate quality. The band so eloquently portrays the human condition, our experiences with life, and the intense hope that accompanies Ultimate Love with lyrics such as "Your eyes see farther then mine.. your hands are warmer then mine... I'll wait for your words..." from (The Jig Is Up). My heart rises and falls with this album; It really is a must-have. I promise you will love it.






2. You Are My Sunshine
by Copeland

I might be a bit biased when writing a review for this album seeing as though I have been madly in love with Copeland's music since the wee-high-school-years but I mean, can you blame me? To me, musically, Copeland can do little wrong and their most recent release is proof-positive that they are masters of their art. The album starts out with this amazing ballad called Should You Return, that paints the first warm colors for the epic beauty that is to follow throughout the whole album. The second track, The Grey Man, still bring chills to me. I recommend holding your breath and closing your eyes for the first 15 seconds. There is a familiarity to their music, not because the songs have been heard before, but because they do such a beautiful job of initiating the familiar emotions that are relatable to all people. Even if you are not necessarily a fan of their past albums, I would still give it a try. Aaron's voice is constant, and the brilliant orchestration portrays the mountains and valleys that only good songwriting can recreate. Give it a go, you won't regret it.


3. Lost In The Sound Of Separation
by Underoath

After being thoroughly let down by most of the post-hardcore albums that I received in 2007, I was anxiously awaiting the newest edition to Underoath's legacy with this newest. I have to admit that I was one of those creepsters who watched them tirelessly record this album with the various webcams that they had set up throughout the studio. A little weirded out by myself, I was hoping that this album would not be a disappointment. What a relief it was when I finally received this album and from the first five seconds, it's epic-ness practically oozed out of my speakers, into my ears filling up the hollow places in my brain with nonstop licks, intricate and intense drumming, and insanely insightful lyrics. The raw emotion that they portray (and for which they are revered), is so openly conveyed with this album; I think I have quoted it way too many times in my blog. This album assures us that we are not alone, that we don't have to live in a barren wasteland caused by our own selfishness, and that there is something Bigger guiding our steps. I was blessed to have seen them live this fall and it blew my head out of the water. I really honestly cannot portray how much this band's music has influenced my walk of faith (I sound like such a fan-girl) and to them I owe my thanks. Underoath, please continue to spread light.
This really wasn't as flattering of a review as I wanted it to be.


With all this talk of Underoath, it is only right to mention Aaron's other project, The Almost, which bring us to...

(I honestly couldn't find a better picture).

3. No Gift To Bring EP
by The Almost

So I will try my best to put my adoration for Aaron Gillespie aside and talk about the EP (that is my favorite picture of him of all time). It is a slightly bit different flavor to The Almost then what the full-length release Southern Weather, brings to the table, but its a good flavor. This EP also portrays the raw emotion that Aaron can convey so openly with a few original songs, a finished version of Amazing Becuase It Is from the full-length (I actually like the other version better), as well as a beautiful Aaron-twist on classic Christmas songs, a praise and worship song (!), and an electric version that Tim from Underoath mixed of Dirty and Left Out, which is excellent. How can someone not fall in love with a song that includes these lyrics?

I need you to make, to make, to make me weak.
I have made my world my own, I've made it my own,
And I have never been so alone.

I can't stop my brain from moving
In an awful direction Lord.
I can't stop my hands from doing
What I don't want to do anymore.
I've been wrong,
I've been right,
But tonight
I just wanna be yours.

(From Awful Direction)

Tangent: In my opinion, Aaron is and has been setting an amazing example as someone who is so on-fire for God and for spreading His message of healing to the brokenness of this world, and that he is willing and able to risk looking scene, or risk cred, to spread this message. In my heart, it is pre-curser to what I believe could be a major revolution of sorts in not only the secular music market, but in the Christian music market as well (where there is equally as much judgement, and lots more half-hearted song writing). I am legitimately excited that listening to Christian hardcore is what is big. It makes me positively giddy when I hear of Underoath going on tour with Slipknot, or Relient K going on tour with Simple Plan, Copeland going on tour with Cartel, The Rocket Summer going on tour with The Academy Is.., I could go on and on. These people are bringing Light into dismal dark places. They are risking to bring a message of hope to people who may not even know they are hearing it until further reflection. They are being God's hands to reach into the dark empy areas of people's hearts to fill them with the notes that He gave them to play. I am so excited to be a part of that plan. I am so excited to see how I may fit into this revolution. A new and brighter day is fast approaching on the music horizon and we are going to be the first generation to see it's rays.

Those were the albums that I really gave most of my attention. The following list are the albums that deserve a nod, are really awesome, but that I don't have enough info on to write about.
1. Avalon by Anthony Green
I honestly think that Green is one of the most talented musical minds of our generation. Its like an ocean of creativity can come pouring our of him and he makes everything sound good. Everything.

2. The Rennasance by Q-tip
I fell in love upon first listening. Good hip-hop everyone. Solid-gold hip-hop. Best track by far is Johnny is Dead.

3. Oracular Spectacular by MGMT
I mean, cmon. Who doesn't like the song Kids? It's addictive. It's not a hipster dance party without it.

4. Feed the Animals by Girl Talk
Such a talent. Check this out.


5. Limbs and Branches by Jon Foreman
This album is really a treat. Jon's voice is a lasting powerhouse and this album (compiled mostly of favorites from the four seasonal EP's that he released this year) shows an incredible delicate complexity. His creativity and the diversity of the songwriting and instrumentation is heartwarming and I highly recommend this album to anyone who enjoys acoustic/folk/indi/awesomeness. I have a soft spot in my heart for the track House of God Forever (singing it at church with a friend was fun) but the whole thing is a treat, start to finish. He is another one added to the list of those such as Aaron Gillespie, bringing a hopeful and peaceful message to the more mainstream side of music. I am grateful for the earthly success that Jon is receiving for this and his work with Switchfoot because it means that more and more ears are tuned to this realness and wonder that can only come from the One who made us and eternally loves us.

I know that there are more, so this is probably going to be a running list for a while. So please keep checking back in.