Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Depending.

Growing older does put a different spin on life. Relationships with people as friends turn into things completely different then how I saw them as a child. I miss that on occasion. My entire life, well... from when I had an actual personality, I have been a relational person. Deeply sensitive to other people, what they are feeling, how they treat others and them-self, etc... and while it worked as an adolescent, I am finding it is becoming more and more difficult to devote time and energy into people who may not view friendships, or perhaps our friendship the same way. I like being able to give myself to that, allow people in, there is a connection, a sharing, and when Jesus is involved, there is so much deep fellowship with others that can happen, allowing both parties to grow in Him and in the friendship.
I like being like that with people, but perhaps it's too much. Perhaps boundaries must be drawn with how much people should be let in, and how much of me I invest in others. Perhaps I need to surround myself with more people who will not take what I have given them and not care. Perhaps I need to protect my heart with friendships too.
How do I do that? How do I change what has been an intrinsic part of how I relate to others? What are the steps I need to take to stay protected and not break every time there is evidence of not-caring from the other party? It hurts twice as much when our friendship was based around Jesus, there can be a lot of confusion... do I pray for strength? Wisdom? That God send me more fellowship with people who truly love Him? That he remains my only strength? All of the above?
Not to sound self-pitying. I am asking for other's knowledge on the subject.

God is good and I need to depend on Him. Hearts are going to be broken, but He is here to heal them.

No comments: