Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Analogy.

I love how things throughout the day remind me of The Big Picture.

Athens is warm right now, and foggy.
I have two thoughts about it.

1. The fog is so dense that while driving home, it was difficult to make out the details of the things around me. I knew where I was going, but it wasn't clear. There are halos that formed around the street lights and the only things out of the entire night on which the details are clear, are the street lights, the things keeping me safe, keeping me led, and illuminated, and on the right path. What's more, if I, on my own efforts, tried to lead my own by flipping on the fog-lights, the fog became even more dense. While the symbolism of my late-night reflection is pretty clear, about how we cannot lead ourselves home in without something illuminating our oath, and how sometimes our own efforts can even more confusion and muddle, and being reminded of how dependent and cared-for I am, is really comforting on uneasily-foggy nights like this one.

2. Weirdness has kind of been happening. Uncomfortable situations with a bunch of my friends, all of the same sort. A general uneasy mood about big things, big questions, big and difficult conversations have been happening, as well as this incredibly horrifyingly realistic dream I had this week have all converged on Athens. I asked a few friends to pray that whatever it is, the stress of finals, or something with deeper implications, is cleared away, and that God completely engulfs the city of Athens. This fog might not be the 'heed your steps' type of fog, this fog could me a sign of clarity to come, which is a good thought.

Light in dark places.
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.
Ephesians 5:8

No comments: